"...the Lord seeth fit to chasten [you, Alicia]; yea, He trieth [your] patience and [your] faith."
Yep, that's exactly how I read it, with my own name in there and everything. As I did so, another scripture came into my mind in a personal way,
"For [you, Alicia] have need of patience, that after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise."
I feel like saying, "I know, Lord, I know. I am terribly impatient! So how about imparting that gift of patience to me right now eh?! ;) "
I came into this world seven weeks before I was due, so I guess you could say I was born impatient.
I was the little girl who on family vacations would need my parents to pull off to the side of the road every 20 minutes so I could pee.
I'm the girl who took piano from age 6 to 12 and have nothing to show for it because I didn't have the patience to keep practicing. (I remember spending more time hanging upside-down on the piano bench with my feet on the keys, staring out at the living room, imagining myself walking on the ceiling).
When I was seven, I couldn't contain emotions around my childhood crush any longer, I tackled him, pinned his arms to the ground and planted a ginormous kiss on his face (then I ran and hid).
When I was sixteen, I pulled into a Chevron with a car full of my drama friends, I was so excited to go to the cast party with everyone that I forgot to put the nozzle back on the pump, drove away, and ripped it clean off the hose. (My friends still haven't let me live that down. You should have seen the clerks face when I handed him the nozzle. Priceless!!)
And I can't even begin to list all the books I've read only half-way through because I was too impatient to finish them.
The one that takes the cake though is that it took exactly 16 weeks for me to marry my husband. Yep, exactly 16 weeks from the very first date (blind date) to the day of our wedding. (And anyone who knows my husband will know that making fast decisions, especially in regards to really big decisions, are NOT in his nature.)
Yes, I'm in desperate need of patience. *Sigh*
The words from my favorite talk by Elder Jeffrey R. Holland rings in my ears:
"It is simply a truism that nothing very valuable can come without significant sacrifice and effort and patience on our part....
Troilus, whose impatient love for Cressida makes him something of a basket case, teaches us a valuable lesson.
“He that will have a cake out of the wheat must tarry the grinding,” Pandarus says to Troilus.
“Have I not tarried?” Troilus pouts.
“He that will have a cake out of the wheat must tarry the grinding,” Pandarus says to Troilus.
“Have I not tarried?” Troilus pouts.
Pandarus: Ay, the grinding; but you must tarry the bolting.
Troilus: Have I not tarried?
Pandarus: Ay, the bolting; but you must tarry the leavening.
Troilus: Still have I tarried?
Pandarus: Ay, to the leavening; but here’s yet . . . the kneading, the making of the cake, the heating of the oven, and the baking; nay, you must stay the cooling too, or you may chance to burn your lips.
[Troilus and Cressida, act 1, scene 1, lines 14ff]
The baking of life’s best cakes takes time. Don’t despair of tarrying and trying. And don’t “burn your lips” with impatience." - Jeffery R. Holland - (However Long and Hard the Road)
It is true, the best things take time. I can pray for patience but the Lord cannot give it to me. Patience is not something to be given but to be grown. However, He can give me experiences that will help me cultivate this wonderful virtue. I'll admit that some of the experiences He gives are extremely painful. It makes sense though," no pain / no gain." A blessing I've discovered is that the Lord can enable me to feel grateful in the present moments, the waiting isn't so hard and time goes by so much faster when "I'm anxiously engaged in [the best] causes."
Elder Neal A. Maxwell explained in a powerful talk "Endure It Well",
"Paul observed, “Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness.” (Heb. 12:11.) Such “peaceable fruit” comes only in the appointed season thereof, after the blossoms and the buds.
Otherwise, if certain mortal experiences were cut short, it would be like pulling up a flower to see how the roots are doing. Put another way, too many anxious openings of the oven door, and the cake falls instead of rising. Moreover, enforced change usually does not last, while productive enduring can ingrain permanent change. (See Alma 32:13–16.)
Patient endurance is to be distinguished from merely being “acted upon.” Endurance is more than pacing up and down within the cell of our circumstance; it is not only acceptance of the things allotted to us, it is to “act for ourselves” by magnifying what is allotted to us. (See Alma 29:3, 6.)"
We must always remember that we are in the process of becoming something so much more. We must make a strong effort to "give thanks in all things" and avoid becoming bitter when the road is long. We press ahead, and we do so with songs of praise every step of the way.
"Therefore, true enduring represents not merely the passage of time, but the passage of the soul—and not merely from A to B, but sometimes all the way from A to Z. To endure in faith and doeth God’s will. (See D&C 63:20; D&C 101:35) therefore involves much more than putting up with a circumstance." - Neal A. Maxwell
I believe that circumstances don't determine our happiness rather the truly happy make a conscious decision to choose happiness regardless of their circumstances. And I believe the key to this is enduring faith and gratitude. I don't know what the future holds, but I know Who holds the future.
I am truly thankful for all the Lord gives me so that I may grow patience. I know the fruit born of it will be that of the sweetest kind and it will be well worth the wait. Isaiah 40:31
-Alicia
No comments:
Post a Comment