This last visit, she gave me a pile of all my report cards from Kindergarten to 12th grade. I wasn't feeling too inclined to keep any of it but decided to look through them before I made my decision. I forgot how poorly I did in school, especially in Jr. High and High School. My grades were terrible, (except for Theater, Art, and Peer Tutoring special ed. students... I always got A's in those classes.) Everything else though, the teachers all said the same thing, "Alicia would do so much better if she just focused more." "Alicia is very cheerful but she talks too much and doesn't stay on task very well." I guess I really was a flibbertigibbet! (By the way, that word is totally legit, I looked it up.)
Things changed for me the very end of my Jr. year. That's when I read The Book of Mormon for the first time on my own. It was a huge pivotal experience for me. It made my last year of high school completely different. I absolutely loved Seminary every year but my Senior year was the best because of my new habit of studying The Book of Mormon. I decorated my bedroom with reminders of eternal truths and my room became a sacred place for me, my little sanctuary, my refuge from the troubles in my family and pressures at school. Overall my grades improved... I could focus more and I stayed on task better. I attribute it all to having a greater measure of the Spirit in my life. I look back at the experiences that unfolded as a direct result of daily scripture study. It was miraculous!
When it came time to graduate, my cumulative scores never would have landed me in a fine university and I had to settle with the community college. While there, I served on the Institute Council and applied to be an EFY Counselor at BYU. I thought, "maybe if I can't go to BYU as a student, I could at least have an experience working there with youth." I didn't make it in. I'm pretty certain it was because I still had a lot of growing up to do. I think I was too awkward and immature... probably still too much of a fliberty thingy. (and that's not a word.)
Now, here it is 2015, and I'm trying to get in as a student at BYU. I'm a little late in trying but hopefully I'm a little more ready now. I'm so anxious to know if I'll get accepted into their Communications Program. This "waiting on the Lord" is killing me! If I get denied again, I'm going to be so terribly sad (I'm not going to lie.) But I'll do some homework, make some adjustments, and I'll apply again. Because, even though I'm still a little awkward and immature, there is one thing I have learned through the years and that is... I don't quit!! I am focused this time, my eyes are fixed on exactly what I want and I'll do whatever it takes to get there.
![]() |
| 1995-96 Getting ready for school in my room / sanctuary. |


No comments:
Post a Comment