I love experiences where you pour your whole soul and heart out in prayer and then go to the scriptures and find words that speak directly to you. Yesterday in family scripture study, both my husband and I took a few minutes to bear testimony of this principle.
I treasure my sacred moments with the Lord, where I can pray out loud and hold nothing back from Him. He hears me and He knows everything in my heart.
I'm almost finished with "Increase in Learning" the first book of a three part series by, David A. Bednar. If there is one thing I desire more to learn than anything else, it is to have a greater measure of the Spirit in my life. I want eyes to see clearly and to be able to discern between truth and error every minute of every day. It's easy for me to pray about but harder to apply. I am thankful that I have a merciful Heavenly Father who is patient with me in my weakness.
After some pretty soulful prayers yesterday, I opened my book by Elder Bednar and saw he had listed several scriptures in the context of his writing. I took a few minutes to look up each scripture and through that process came across some that I truly needed to hear!
"Fear not [Alicia], let your heart be comforted; yea, rejoice evermore, and in everything give thanks; Waiting patiently on the Lord, for your prayers have entered into the ears of the Lord of Sabaoth, and are recorded with this seal and testament - the Lord hath sworn and decreed that they shall be granted. Therefore, He giveth this promise unto you, with an immutable covenant that they shall be fulfilled; and all things wherewith you have been afflicted [or will be afflicted] shall work together for your good, and to my name's glory, saith the Lord" - D&C 98:1-3
Then in cross-reference, I read these scriptures:
"Blessed be the Lord, because He hath heard the voice of my supplications. The Lord is my strength and my shield: my heart trusted in Him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise Him." - Psalms 28:6-7
"Wait on the Lord: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait I say on the Lord." - Psalms 27:14
I resolve today to rejoice and give thanks in all things. I truly have SO MUCH to be thankful for. What a wonderful, wonderful life I have right here and NOW. I am so richly blessed! I know my prayers are heard. I trust that "[My] God doth undertake to guide [my] future as he has [my] past. [My] hope, [my] confidence let nothing shake; all now mysterious shall be bright at last." - Be Still My Soul
I want to focus on the present moments and not let the little opportunities I have with my husband and my children to pass me by. And with each moment I'm given here and now, I want to make the kinds of choices that better prepare me for what lies ahead, even though I can't see what that means for me. Ultimately, I am preparing to meet my Savior when He returns to earth or when I leave this life - I want to be ready, I want to live by the Spirit and have my lamp full and trimmed, adorned for Him by the choices I've made and all I've treasured in my heart upon this journey.
-Alicia
"Everything we hope to accomplish in the future, how we prepare for the responsibilities that will ultimately be ours, is really a function of what we do today. Though some things about the future will always seem uncertain, the future is not entirely a mystery. To a great extent the future is shaped by the accumulation of all our daily activities and disciplined efforts." - Craig C. Christensen
"Tomorrow is Today"
No comments:
Post a Comment