Monday, March 9, 2015

Brightly Beams




8X10 Print Light of Truth

When my younger brother joined the Navy, he went through dark periods of deep depression, all of which stemmed from a downward spiral of poor choices.  At this time in his life, I painted a picture of a lighthouse based off the hymn "Brightly Beams Our Father's Mercy".  I also wrote a poem dedicated to my brother.

I don't think he ever knew at that time that I made it all with him in mind.

A couple of days ago, Kenneth called me.  We talked for nearly 2 hrs!  I love where he is now in his life.  Everything is so much brighter!  We attend different churches but we share the same belief in God and prayer.  Of all my siblings, he is the one I can relate to most because he is religious and openly passionate about his feelings.  Both of us are not afraid to show emotion, especially when that emotion is rooted in genuine love and testimony.  It was music to my ears to hear him share with me his personal experiences with prayer lately and how the Lord is currently guiding him back to the faith he was raised in.  We laughed together, we cried together, and I wanted to reach through the phone and just hug him.  I love him so much!

Last year, I took my niece with me to Texas to visit my brother and presented him with another painting as a gift.  This was one he specifically requested. He wanted it created after the famous "Lone Sailor" statue that you see at many naval bases.  On the print made of it he requested the scripture, "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."- John 15:13  I appreciate the fact that my Navy brother was born on Pearl Harbor Day... How fitting now that he has this tribute hanging in his home.

Yesterday in church, one of the hymns was "Brightly Beams Our Father's Mercy" and it made me think of Kenneth.  I thought of the lighthouse painting I dedicated to him years ago, where he was at that point in his life.  My mind flashed forward to our recent conversation over the phone and how far he has come from those dark days.  He is seeking the Lord, praying for guidance as a husband and father, wanting more than anything to create a home where his daughter can learn faith and know what it means to feel God's love.  It made me smile.  I'm so proud of him!  I am forever grateful that we have always been close.  It's amazing how such a deep bond has only grown stronger and stronger through all these years.

I made a little slideshow for his birthday last year.  I love to watch it and contemplate the years we've had and the years we will have together.
-Alicia

No comments: