Philippians 2:7 (KJV) says that Christ, "made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men."
In the American Standard Version it says: He "emptied himself, taking the form of a servant, being made in the likeness of men"
Christian's have long debated over Jesus's process of Kenosis. What did it mean for Christ to "empty Himself"? Did it mean he temporarily let go of who He was to take upon the form of man? Did it mean when He "descended from the throne" He somehow descended in His godhood? Of course not. He understood His true identity and place as rightful King on earth and in heaven. His godhood and power never left Him spiritually but He gave up being recognized as such physically.
In fact, during the pinnacle crux of all human history, where His greatest "emptying" took place, is also where we see manifested the greatest and most magnificent power!! In the Garden of Gethsemane He was emptied as He bled from every pore. (D&C 19:18) And on the cross blood and water "flowed from His side" (John 19:34)
Isaiah 53:12 also speaks of the Savior's emptying saying,"He [Christ] poured out His soul". The highest majesty ever known was reveled through the most intense humility.
Psalms 36:9 describes Christ as "the fountain of life." Living water "pouring out" in a constant steady flow.
Luke 8:43-48 tells another story of Christ's emptying:
"A woman having an issue of blood twelve years, which had spent all her living upon physicians, neither could be healed of any, came behind him, and touched the border of his garment: and immediately her issue of blood stanched.
And Jesus said, Who touched me?
When all denied, Peter and they that were with him said, Master, the multitude throng thee and press thee, and sayest thou, Who touched me?
And Jesus said, Somebody hath touched me: for I perceive that virtue is gone out of me."
Virtue had emptied out of Him.
"Virtue" here contextually means "strength." He may have felt physically weak in that moment but He was certainly not weak in the spiritual sense. He was "emptied" as in the context of Isaiah's illustration. The woman exercised such tremendous faith in Christ that when she reached to Him through the pressing crowd, He literally felt His body go weak from the "pouring out of His soul" to her and she was healed.
As the Savior emptied Himself, we too must empty ourselves.
Matt 16:25 teaches that when we "lose our self" we'll find ourselves. This does not mean we lose our identity in the slightest. In fact, as we choose to draw closer to Christ, we see our TRUE self, our Divine nature more and more defined, more clear than ever before. What we DO lose however is the false identity, the labels and the lies the world would have us believe.
To "lose ourselves" we, like Him, must "pour out our souls". Here, we show that He is the very center of our life, that we want Him more than anything else. As He prayed, we also pray, "Not my will but thine be done." (Luke 22:42)
In "emptying" ourselves of our own will, we "pour out" our souls, making room for Him to enter in. This is the "whole tithe." We lay it all on the altar and say, "take it all, I surrender." In return, He opens the windows of heaven, whether through temporal or spiritual needs, revelation, or guidance. The promise is heaven will be opened and poured out!
The New International Version of Malachi says it this way
"Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this,” says the Lord Almighty, “and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that there will not be room enough to store it." - Malachi 3:10
I love the imagery of "floodgates!"
He will "pour out" to us as we "pour out" Him.
Think of the results that come when we open ourselves up to Him in prayer: We pour out all our strength - He gives us His strength, pour out all our hearts - He gives us His heart, pour out all our thoughts - He gives us His thoughts. Fully and completely submissive and receptive, we open our self up to Him, we let Him in our heart and soul, receiving Him, becoming one with Him as He became one with the Father.
I testify that Christ is the "fountain of Life", His love and power is ever flowing over. He wants to "pour it into us." But we must first go through our own kenosis, our own 'self-emptying' in order to be open to receive Him, all of Him.
-Alicia
To Know God
by, Colton Dixon
I made my castle tall
I built up every wall
This is my kingdom and it needs to fall
I want you and no one else
Empty me of myself
Until the only thing that's left is
More of You
Less of me
Make me who I'm meant to be
You're all I want all I need
You're everything
Take it all I surrender
Be my king
God I choose
More of You and Less of me
I need more of you
More of you
This life I hold so close
Oh, God I let it go
I refuse to gain the world and lose my soul
So take it all I abandon everything I am
You can have it
The only thing I need is
More of You
Less of me
Make me who I'm meant to be
You're all I want all I need
You're everything
Take it all I surrender
Be my king
God I choose
More of You and Less of me
I need more of you
More of you
All to You
I surrender
All to You my blessed Savior
I surrender all
No comments:
Post a Comment