Thursday, May 7, 2015

Revelation RX

An old African-American spiritual has two lines of irrefutable truth:

"There is a Balm in Gilead,
To make the wounded whole."

We had a lesson in church a couple of weeks ago on revelation.  We read the definition in the Bible dictionary and there were two words that seemed to jump out at me, "prescribed course".

"The principle of gaining knowledge by revelation is the principle of salvation. It is the making known of divine truth by communication with the heavens and consists not only of revelation of the plan of salvation to the Lord’s prophets but also a confirmation in the hearts of the believers that the revelation to the prophets is true. It also consists of individual guidance for every person who seeks for it and follows the prescribed course of faith, repentance, and obedience to the gospel of Jesus Christ. “The Holy Ghost is a revelator,” said Joseph Smith, and “no man can receive the Holy Ghost without receiving revelations” (HC 6:58). Without revelation, all would be guesswork, darkness, and confusion.

In the Lord’s Church the First Presidency and the Council of the Twelve are prophets, seers, and revelators to the Church and to the world. In addition, every person may receive personal revelation for his own benefit. It is contrary to the laws of God for any person to receive revelation for those higher in authority (see D&C 28:2–8; 100:11; 107:91–92)." - Bible Dictionary "Revelation"

Just as a physician gives prescriptions in order for the patient to obtain certain results, our Father in heaven has given us a prescription, a rule or course of action to be followed, in order to receive personal revelation.

This is a liberating concept to me because in all my numerous weaknesses and shortcomings, the Lord still promises that I can commune with Him.  It's "prescription" not "perfection" that brings the results.

I believe the Lord desires to answer me in those things I have fasted prayed earnestly about.  He wants me to continue to seek for the meaning of those puzzle pieces in my life.  I sat there with my scriptures in my hand and read the words "prescribed course" over and over again.  I said a prayer in my heart, "Lord, as I have searched out these answers, I know I have followed the 'prescribed course' with all the sincerity of my heart! And in doing so, I was guided to specific scriptures and talks that applied perfectly and..." Before I could begin to ask all my questions again, the sweet assurance of the spirit almost interrupted me and said, "...and you received personal revelation. You can lay it down Alicia that you've received your answer."

I'm so thankful for the power of prayer, for scriptures, and for the comforting influence of the Spirit in my life. They are medicine to my soul! I do not need to know the end from the beginning.  I just need to follow the prescribed course one day at a time; love, serve, give, pray, study, apply, try, repent, forgive, and repeat.

 I trust my Physician.

Ere you left your room this morning,
Did you think to pray? …
When your soul was full of sorrow,
Balm of Gilead did you borrow
At the gates of day?

"And my soul hungered and I kneeled down before my Maker and I cried unto Him in mighty prayer and supplication for mine own soul; and all the day long did I cry unto Him; yea, and when the night came I did still raise my voice high that it reached the heavens."

"I cried unto Him continually, for He had said unto me: 'Whatsoever thing ye shall ask in faith, believing that yea shall receive in the name of Christ, ye shall receive it."  - (Enos 1:4,15)

-Alicia


No comments: